Thursday, January 3, 2013

Ghana peanut butter soup




Ghanaian peanut butter soup.

So, met this woman and she kept going on an on about her favorite dish. Ghana peanut butter soup.
The food in Ghana is simple. Usually it revolves around something called "fufu".
Fufu from the documentary I saw is made with.

(Foto from treehugger- thanks)

 a root called Cassava.

The root is boiled and pounded into a consistency of a dough.


This is a woman doing that labor, by the looks of it in the documentary it seems to be a workout
and barely worth the calories.
Since I don't have the tools or the inclination to spend two hours pounding something I made Amaranth.


But back to the soup.
The recipe is simple.
1/2 peanut butter - I got mine from whole foods they have a machine that grinds it fresh.
2 pieces of chicken leg - I skinned then de-boned them then de-grisled them then chopped them to bite size
1 potato
10 mushrooms quarters - this is optional I just added mushrooms cause it is winter.
1 hot pepper - I used a Fresno pepper but you can use stronger ones
http://missvickie.com/howto/spices/peppers/peppersdict.html
The above is a link to peppers so you can recognize them.
1/2 cup of cilantro -  I just like adding some green.
2 garlic cloves
2 small onions - I don't go for sweet ones but you can.
1 can of tomatoes- I used chopped so I could have some tomato texture.


The cooking is simple.
Fry the chicken for 5. You can add oil I skipped this as it is new years diet.
Add the chopped onion fry for 3
Add the vegetables you want, just make them small
add the potato, make it small.
I ground the pepper, cilantro, 1/4 onion in a food processor however it died in action so I ended up working
on my fine chopping skills.
Add this concoction too.
Then add the tomatoes and water.
The last part is the peanut butter simply melt it with hot water and add it too.
Adjust the seasoning and leave it for 90 minutes.

Now, some pieces of advice.
Don't touch your eyes after working with hot peppers (I never listen to this one)

So after 90 minutes you should have delicious soup.
In Ghana they eat the soup with the pounded Kassava root that took 2 hours of pounding.





I skipped it and simply made Amaranth.
1 part amaranth to 3 parts water on low heat.

Yum, try it.
I am going to get me another serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment