Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Brandade with Salted Cod

Brandade
 Brandade recipe.
To be honest I always saw those slabs of salted cod and never knew what to do with them. I decided to try something out. My friend ate at a restaurant and told me the dishes one was Brandade (Salt Cod).
So this is it.
Get a pound of salted cod, the fish monger might not display it but they usually have it in the back or can get it.
 Close up. So put it in water for 24 hours, replace the water 4 times or so.
 Take the pieces and cover them with water add the juice of 1 lemon and some peppercorns. I threw in some parsley but it says to add bay leaf.
Cook for 15 on low heat till the fish flakes.
 Mean time cut some bread, remove the crust. I couldn't find any decent bread at 11 so I just used the "soft" bread you can find in any market.
 remove the water from the fish and throw away the peppercorns, then break the fish apart. Make sure to squeeze the fish to small pieces with your hand so you can remove any bones that are left. I did not because I was in a hurry and my fish was hot. (Big mistake - well not that big)
 Chop 2 cloves of garlic or more if you want to have the breath of death the next day.


Wet the bread for 60 seconds and then add it to the mix . Add 1/3 cup of milk and the garlic.
 Originally I tried using the fluffer above but that didn't work as the fish was suddenly flying. So I ended up using the shake maker, just go up and down. While you are doing it add 1/4 of a cup of olive oil or more. I added less as I wanted more fish taste and less olive oil. So 1/4 is perfect for me.
When you are done taste it and add salt and pepper.

To serve add toast or crusty bread heated up.
The fish should still have some heat or it tastes great cold, even the next day.
Brandade Hummus :)

1 comment: