Sunday, July 8, 2012

Duck Moo Shu

Duck mooshu

 Alright, buy some duck thighs and legs that way you don't get stuck with the duck breast. Season it with salt and pepper.

 Put it in the cast iron dutch oven or in this case I used my lodge pan which has a lid. Leave it in the oven for 3 hours at 250F.

 This is what it should look like cooked to the right level.

 This is the shell you use for wrapping the duck meat. You buy it at chinese stores. You simply heat them up with steam or on a pan.
 These are the skins, when you are done roasting the chicken you can remove the skins and set them on tin foil to give them an extra crisp.

 These are the duck pieces with out the skin, they are also getting a quick 10 minute finish for some extra color once the skin is gone.

 This is the lodge pan, they are dirt cheap.
I make my duck Mediterranean style so I make a pesto sauce.
Its basil, garlic, olive oil salt pepper. Grind grind grind 


 Pesto sauce.

 Alright, some green stuff for the health.

 Break up the duck meat with two spoons and remove the bones and gristle.
  
 Moo shu wraps.

 Steamed for 40 seconds.
 Set it all up.
  
This is the wrap before folding.

 Fold it.



Happy wife

5 comments:

  1. I want to make duck skin mu shu but will probably end up having to make the pancakes myself.

    What's wrong with duck breast? Unless you overcook it while trying to get the legs cooked. :)

    http://a-boleyn.livejournal.com/121322.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello a-boleyn.
    Ok.
    So with any bird for example a chicken or duck especially a turkey you will notice that when you put the bird whole in the oven. The breast will always cook faster than the darker parts. No matter what I do I cannot avoid this. So in reality either the breast will come out dry-ish or the darker meat will be moist and cling to the bones.

    Since I like the meat falling from the bones, I always separate the breast and the darker parts.

    The breast I usually bread and fry.
    The darker meat can go in the oven for my chicken style roasted bird or for making the duck recipe above.

    In the case of duck and other water birds, they have a large fat layer on the breast so they can float. It takes some getting used to and my wife is not a fan.
    So ergo we prefer the darker meat and will tend to buy just the parts lately.

    Good luck with the Mu Shu pancake making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wondered about the breasts cause, with chicken, there are people who only eat breast and refuse to eat dark meat so I thought this might be reverse discrimination. :) I bought a whole frozen duck pretty cheaply so I decided to cook the whole thing up for a fancier presentation.

    I overcooked the duck as I said above even though I tried avoiding it by covering the breast at the beginning of the cooking process and then uncovering it at the end. It was good though. I've got some leftover breast and am making hoisin pancakes tomorrow but using flour tortillas in place of the pancakes. I'll have to research a good recipe for mu shu pancakes. Your spread for the pancakes looks like it would be very tasty ... not so sure about the pesto part though. I think I'll stick with lettuce and the green onion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello A,

    Both are great, I think the darker parts tend to have more taste but to each his own. You can try roasting the duck in parts that way you can check on their progress very easily. Getting a whole duck right is as hard as getting a turkey right in Thanksgiving.... (both elude me).
    The Moo shu pancakes are too much hard work for me.
    Originally the Chinese make it with hoisin, you can try making that instead of the pancakes.
    http://chinese.food.com/recipe/homemade-hoisin-sauce-312992

    Enjoy your duck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making my own hoisin sauce isn't the best use of my time. I'd rather make truffles. :) Anyway, the commercial product is fine with me, especially as I don't use it too often. This is what I made today with the few greens in my fridge. No green onion etc.

    http://a-boleyn.livejournal.com/121399.html

    ReplyDelete